How do I actually create a new chapter?
Just follow these easy steps……
Step One (Documents and Fee)
- Complete the Constitution and sign on the last page
- Create a “Letter of Intent” on your school letterhead. (Note: Page 1 of the sample petition can be used as an example.)
- Obtain signatures on Page 2 of the sample petition
- The signature of the highest academic official is required
- At a minimum, have faculty officers of the SBD chapter sign
- Complete the Chapter Officer Form
- A minimum of two officers (faculty) is required; three is desired
- The Chapter Advisor is the contact with the Central Office
- Any officer can be the chapter advisor
- You may also set up a slate of student officers to help
- Include the payment of your charter fee of $250 (check, money order or credit card may be used). This payment covers the cost of sending the chapter banner and having a charter certificate matted, framed and mailed to you.
Step Two (Approval and Conference Call)
- Mail* the above items into the Central Office and Executive Committee approval will be obtained by the Executive Director.
- The Central Office/Executive Committee Conference Call: The Central Office will initiate and coordinate this phone call and participants will be your SBD chapter officers, the SBD Executive Committee and the Executive Director. Simply provide several dates and times when your faculty officers can be available for a twenty-minute call to induct them as officers so that they can induct new members and informally “installs” your new chapter. You will learn the history of the organization during this call which you can pass on to your audience at the induction ceremonies. This also gives you a chance to meet and converse with members from our Executive Committee of the SBD Board of Directors.
* This payment covers the cost of sending the chapter banner and having a charter certificate matted, framed and mailed to you.
NOTE->The constitution, sample petition letter and chapter officer form can be e-mailed to you. You still need to mail the signed originals to the Central Office.
Posted in: How Do I Actually Create A New Chapter